Looking for a holiday bargain or need to know which cities around the world you (and your credit card) should be wary of? Drum roll please.
Travel site, Tripadvisor, has released the results of their third annual TripIndex which compares the cost of an evening out and overnight stay for two people in popular cities around the world.
According to the index, the most affordable city for tourists is Sofia in Bulgaria with a total cost for two of $153.21.
Asia features heavily in the 10 cheapest destinations, claiming four cities in total. Hanoi in Vietnam came in second at $111.22 and Bangkok, Thailand in sixth place at $105.58.
The TripAdvisor TripIndex Cities is tracked against the Australian dollar and is based on the combined costs for two of one night in a four-star hotel, cocktails, a two-course dinner with a bottle of wine, and return taxi transportation
At nearly four times the cost of Sofia, Oslo, Norway tops the list as most expensive with a TripIndex cost of AU$561.26, closely followed by Zurich, Switzerland which totals AU$506.45.
TripIndex helps travellers to see where their dollar goes the furthest,” commented Jean Ow-Yeong, TripAdvisor spokesperson. “The list shows that Asia is the most affordable continent, while Europe is the most expensive, but some European cities – like Sofia, Warsaw and Budapest – are bucking this trend.
Sydney once again features in the Top 10 most expensive cities worldwide this year coming in at sixth place - compared to its ninth position in 2012.
Hotels hike up the price but biggest gap is between taxi costs
While the cost of a hotel stay is the most expensive of the TripIndex basket items, the biggest disparity in cost between the cheapest and most expensive destinations lies with the return taxi trip. At $40.36, London, England is almost 20 times more expensive for taxi transportation than Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia at $2.05.
The cheapest average hotel room goes to Sofia, Bulgaria at $93.05 per night, while the most expensive, at nearly four times the cost, goes to New York City, at $366.46 per night.
Here is the full list:
10 Cheapest Cities
1. Sofia, Bulgaria $153.21
2. Hanoi, Vietnam $170.12
3. Warsaw, Poland $181.73
4. Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt $184.74
5. Budapest, Hungary $186.46
6. Bangkok, Thailand $194.79
7. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia $210.30
8. Tunis, Tunisia $211.51
9. Cape Town, South Africa $212.49
10. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia $212.72
10 Most Expensive Cities
1. Oslo, Norway $561.26
2. Zurich, Switzerland $506.45
3. Stockholm, Sweden $504.30
4. New York City, US $498.58
5. Paris, France $494.96
6. Sydney, Australia $445.64
7. London, Britain $437.40
8. Copenhagen, Denmark $429.55
9. Cancun, Mexico $426.09
10. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic $420.91
How much bang will you get for your buck around the world?
- For the price of three taxis in Zurich, Switzerland a traveller can get one night’s stay in a four star hotel in Hanoi, Vietnam
- Travellers can enjoy two dinners for two people in Taipei, Taiwan for the same price as two cocktails in Seoul, South Korea
- One night’s hotel stay for two in a four star hotel in Zurich, Switzerland is nearly the same price as three nights in Warsaw, Poland