Here are a few handy travel tips for families preparing to take their next holiday.
Packing for one can be challenging enough so when packing for three people or more, it can become overwhelming. The “more is more” approach for family packing is a common faux pas. A good way of avoiding this is writing a list and halving what you think you need.
Family man and General Manager of PARKROYAL Parramatta, Michael Johnson, has had his fair share of trips with his kids. He says “with the hotel being located in between weekend escapes such as the Blue Mountains and in the centre of Parramatta, we often have families staying at the hotel. It can be very frustrating for parents trying to manage the baggage and small kids at the same time, and you can see the relief on their faces as our door men assist them with their luggage as they check in.”
Michael offers a few handy travel tips for families taking their next holiday:
1. Pack complete outfits for the kids and divide each family members clothing amongst the suitcases in case baggage is lost.
2. When packing for the family the “rolling” technique is a favourite amongst parents as rolling clothing together allows you to fit double the amount of garments.
3. Pack your children’s favourite toys and snacks in a backpack for them to carry on the flight or in the car. That way there is no way you will accidently pack their favourite toy in the main suitcase leaving them distressed on the journey but you will also leave much needed space in your suitcase for the essentials.
4. Always remember that if you misjudged the amount of items to bring or forget something - you can always purchase it at the destination!
5. Don't take up precious space when packing with blankets and cots for small children. Nowadays these are all provided by hotels – simply just request when you're booking or arrive at reception to check in.
6. Pack a mini first aid in your carry on bag including bandaids, hand sanitiser, tissues and antiseptic cream for any minor altercations on your travels
7. While laundry services are available at hotels, it's helpful to pack liquid travel detergent to wash smaller items that you may need to use more frequently such as bibs.
Remember travelling with children doesn't need to be expensive. Keep an eye on deals throughout the year as hotels often include packages where children under the age of 12 years can stay free.
At the moment parents can enjoy such a deal at PARKROYAL hotels with their complimentary breakfast – no strings package, which is valid for stays from the 15th December 2013 to 9th February 2014. Find out more here