Times have changed on the high seas and cruising isn’t just for buffet and bingo loving oldies.
There’s a whole new world of luxurious pleasures to enjoy if you know what you’re doing. Here is how to get it right.
If you’re into amazing food, incredible service and being surrounded by beautiful things than I suggest you head straight for a modern luxury cruiser like The Celebrity Solstice. A ship of this class offers endless amazing activities and facilities. From Theatre shows, indulgent spa treatments, a casino and several fine dining options, there is truly something for everyone.
State of the art on board facilties
Booking Your Trip
Give yourself plenty of time to go through all the options available to you on your trip. The decisions you make on land will have a big impact on your time at sea.
Pick a room that suits your needs. I went for the Concierge Class on the Celebrity Solstice because it had a balcony, hair dryer, canapés that magically appear in your lounge area every afternoon, a huge menu for in room breakfast, luxurious touches throughout and very importantly priority check in and seating preferences at the restaurants. With almost 3,000 people on board this is a must for me. It even came with fresh flowers, fruit, and bubbly. Yes please!
- Work out what’s on offer at the destinations you stop at. You might want to book your shore excursions in advance so you don’t miss out.
- Evaluate what your drinks needs are. There are several packages catering to everyone, from wine aficionados to the healthy guru who's only interested in smoothies.
- Book dinner at the restaurants that appeal to you for sea days. You don’t want to miss out on this, the food is amazing and you will regret it. The menus are overseen by Executive Chef Robert Sauer, and are exceptional.
- Similarly, book any spa treatments well ahead of time. One of the best things about cruising is the relaxation factor and the treatments on offer are world class.
Fancy some spa time?
While at Sea
Every cruise will have days at sea between destinations, and surprisingly, these are alot of fun. Cruise Director Ben Powney from Celebrity Cruises says that each ship will have a unique point of difference, and you should make the most of what's on offer.
I can highly recommend:
- I indulged in pre-breakfast massages. This set the tone of bliss for the day.
- Don't miss out on the duty free shopping. I found there are great deals to be had on bags and sunglasses in addition to alcohol.
- On the Celebrity Solstice there is an half an acre of actual grass. I spent many afternoons relaxing with a book and staring at the sea here.
- Get involved at the casino (there's something James Bond-ish about late night roulette at sea).
- Try the daily delicious cocktail offering. I discovered some new concoctions I'll be rolling out over new years.
- End your day with a gorgeous meal, followed by a quick spin on the dance floor and just one more cocktail.
Plenty of space to relax on the grass... at sea
Where ever your headed, just make sure your well equipped from the outset. They will likely use a different currency and/or speak another language so make sure you've packed well depending on what your doing.
- ID/Passport (you want to be able to get back on the ship).
- Any medications you need.
- Water, sunscreen and hat.
- Map of where you are or details of your excursion so you do not get lost.
- Cash and credit cards for all those souvenirs.
And that's it. Everything else will be taken care of for you by the amazing staff on board. Next stop maximum relaxation and indulgence. Enjoy!
Destination: New Caledonia is paradise!
For more information about South Pacific cruises, visit www.celebritycruises.com.au, phone 1800 754 500 or call your travel agent.