Our Wellbeing Expert, Sam Sargent, suggests we give the gift of wellbeing this Christmas and New Year. Here is her expert advice to keep you and our environment looking and feeling naturally beautiful.
Whilst it is easy to place ‘beauty care’ on the superficial end of the spectrum, thinking that it is an everyday luxury for us women, I wholeheartedly disagree. Beauty care is so much more than skin deep. It is an essential part of our daily life that not only affects the way that we feel and interact with the world, it is at the core of our own personal wellbeing, and the wellbeing of the beautiful planet we all share.
Last month I wrote about how when we look good, we feel great; and when we feel great we look good; and how this overflows to our state of happiness and wellbeing. I’d like to take this a step further to demonstrate how our beauty choices affect the wellbeing of the planet and ecosystem.
5 simple choices that have a huge impact:
- Choose products with less packaging or make a more mindful and sustainable choice by supporting brands that care.
- Say ‘no’ to that plastic bag at the checkout counter by bringing your own reusable bag.
- Read the ingredient list to ensure that the product is free from synthetic and toxic ingredients that not only damage the health of your skin and organs, but also accumulate in the waterways once we rinse it down the drain.
- Check to see if the company makes ethical choices in their sourcing of ingredients.
- Share your natural beauty finds with loved ones, and be a positive impact in their lives.
With summer, Christmas and the party season coming up, chances are you’ll be wanting to look your best. Can I please make a request that we give the gift of wellbeing this year, not only to ourselves, but to the planet as well.
It is my greatest joy and honor to be in the position to write on topics such as this, that provide you with the opportunity not only to look and feel naturally beautiful, whilst investing in your future wellbeing, but also to make a positive impact on the environment for our future generations to enjoy.
Following are five how-to tips that help to keep you and our environment looking and feeling beautiful:
- Replace all your skin and body care products with genuine natural and organic brands. And remember to read the full ingredients list to ensure that it is in fact all-natural. Not only are the products that contain toxic synthetics detrimental to your internal health and external beauty of your skin, but once they get into the waterways and environment, they harm our ecosystem. My top all-natural and organic picks are Live Native, Josh Rosebrook, AEOS, Moroccan Natural and my own Be genki range of course.
- Being female it's easy to fall into the trap and temptation of filling your cosmetic bag with way more makeup than you need, resulting in a portion of products not being used before their best-before-date. Make the choice to have a clutter-free collection of beauty essentials that you actually love and use. My favourite is the 100% vegan, organic and mica-free HAUT range that helps to heal your skin whilst providing coverage.
- Remember that perfume is also part of the beauty bag and the majority of mainstream fragrances contain toxic carcinogens and hormone disruptors, as well as being considered to be one of the top five known allergens, causing asthma and triggering asthma attacks.There are a number of beautiful 100% natural and organic fragrances now available. My favourite is Aura-Soma Parfum that bridges the gap between natural and luxury.
- Choose nail polishes that are free from the toxic chemicals that are traditionally used in nail products: toluene, formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalates (DBP). There are a number of toxin-free brands that have a fabulous range of colours. My favourite is INTENSAE as it has the staying power of conventional brands, so your polish remains chip-free for 10+ days.
- Choose eco-friendly make-up tools and beauty bags that are made from earth-friendly materials such as bamboo and vegan fibres. HAUT have a beautiful range that is not only eco-friendly but also high quality, fit for any makeup artist. Another fabulous range is the WOTNOT collection of makeup brushes.