Without a doubt, the best thing about each new year is the opportunity to turn over a new leaf and start afresh. But instead of putting yourself through another rigorous cleanse that’s high on extreme fasting and headaches, and low on TLC, Sam Sample, holistic health expert and founder of Be Genki recommends the following skin detox that will provide you with a luxurious, all-natural and well-earned respite from the fast pace of contemporary life.
“We’re all aware of detoxes and cleansing diets that rid toxins and improve digestion, but what about what we put on our skin?” Sam asks. “The skin is a highly complex, functioning organ that reflects our total health and wellbeing, and by maintaining it, we help to promote the health of the rest of the body and mind.”
Simply follow these simple steps to a daily inner and outer glow, with all products available from www.begenkishop.com .
1. Start each day with dry skin body brushing (followed by a mini self-massage in the shower) to promote beautiful soft skin, stimulate circulation, increase cell renewal, cleanse the lymphatic system, strengthen the immune system and help in the treatment of cellulite, among other things.
2. Choose natural or organic products for your face and body, and remember to read the complete ingredient list and if it contains mineral oil, parabens, fragrances (synthetic), colours (synthetic), sodium lauryl sulphate, mineral oils, propylene glycol, phlatates, sulphates etc, it’s best to put it back on the shelf and choose another brand! These synthetic ingredients are known to trigger acne, clog pores and interfere with the body’s natural ability to eliminate toxins as well as being linked to cancer, allergic reactions, rashes, and are known respiratory irritants and hormone disruptors. Check out my List of Top 10 Chemicals to Avoid and Why
3. Switch to an all-natural deodorant. Soapwalla (RRP $16) is my all-time favourite. It utilizes superfine vegetable powders, clays, and lavender, peppermint and tea tree essential oils to absorb moisture, inhibit bacteria, and ensure a long-lasting and highly effective experience. Soapwalla's Deodorant Cream is free from harmful chemicals, petroleum, or aluminum (linked to alzheimer's and breast cancer), is vegan, and is never ever tested on animals.
4. Reduce stress by learning how to cope with daily challenges and remember to nurture yourself inside and out BEFORE spiraling into a stressed state. Practice meditation, give yourself a massage, have a relaxing bath, go for a walk, practice yoga, simple breathing exercises or whatever else it is that helps to maintain your sense of calm and a balanced state of mind.
5. Exercise regularly to help improve circulation but not alongside traffic (ie. to help minimize inhalation of exhaust fumes).
6. Eat plenty of antioxidant rich foods such as brightly colored fruits and vegetables: berries, kiwi, carrots, sweet potato, beetroot, broccoli, watermelon; and a variety of nuts and seeds, such as sunflower, flax, hemp and pumpkin seeds; and almonds and brazil nuts to also ensure a diet rich in essential fats, zinc, and other minerals.
7. Ensure that you are drinking an adequate amount of clean filtered water every day, and replace coffee and tea with herbal teas that help with detoxification.
8. Choose certified organic produce – as much as you can afford.
9. Drink apple cider vinegar and eat probiotic rich foods to help improve your digestion and immune system.
10. STOP smoking; AVOID alcohol and caffeine; REDUCE your intake of processed foods and take-out foods with added chemicals and processed ingredients; AVOID refined table salt, sugar, saturated fats and fried foods; REDUCE your consumption of meat and dairy; AVOID soft drinks, cordial, bottled juices and vitamin waters that are full of sugar and artificial additives.
The Japanese word “genki” means to be happy, healthy and in harmony with oneself on all levels. So from Be Genki to you, happy new year!
For more information on Sam Sample and Be Genki, get to www.begenkishop.com .