Celebrity stylist, Donny Galella has not only dressed celebrities such as Sophia Loren, Kelly Rowland, Sir Richard Branson, Kate Ritchie and Carson Kressley; but he has performed over 100 makeovers with everyday women, changing the lives of many along the way. Donny opened his magic styling box and shares with us, his all time top ten styling tips.
1. Look taller - for an instant height injection, buy a pair of flesh coloured high heels. The heels will blend in with your skin tone, elongate your legs and make you look taller. The worst thing you can wear is black shoes with ankle straps. For some extra height, go for an up-style hair-do such as a high pony tail or chignon bun.
2. Look thinner – by wearing vertical stripes, as they will make you look taller and thinner. Horizontal stripes make you look shorter and wider. It’s all got to do with the way our eyes are programmed to read left to right.
3. Look curvier – if you lack curves and want more volume around your chest or booty, become friends with ruffles, pleats and chunky fabrics. Wearing a top (or cossie in summer) with ruffles on the chest will give you extra volume creating the illusion of having a bigger bust. If you want more booty, wear an a-line skirt with voluminous front pockets or box pleats.
4. Northern focus – you can control where people look, if you are self conscious about your bottom half then make people focus on your top half. Wear a statement necklace or a statement pair of earrings, as these eye catching pieces will ensure your top half is the focus.
5. Southern focus – for women who are self conscious about their top half divert the attention to your lower torso by wearing a statement pair of heels, an amazing statement bracelet or an embellished belt.
6. Shrink your waist – to make your waist look smaller, simply add some volume to your shoulders by wearing a jacket with an exaggerated shoulder line or a top with a puffed sleeve. Ensure your waist is cinched in with a well tailored garment or wear a thin belt to really draw in your waistline.
7. Embrace colour – wear a colour to bring your features out. As a general rule of thumb, let the colour of your eyes guide you. If you have blue eyes, shades of blues and greens will look fabulous on you. If you have brown eyes, tertiary tones can look great on you. Wearing a bright colour projects confidence, so if you‘re feeling nervous going into a first date or a job interview, simply wear a bright colour.
8. Smooth out the bumps – if you want to smooth out any lumps or bumps, invest in some miracle undergarments. If the celebs can do it, so can you. You can get undergarments that help your top half, bottom half or even an all in one that smooths out all your lumps and bumps.
9. A healthy glow – we always seem to notice when someone has just come back from a holiday. A soft tan always makes you look healthier, vibrant and it can make you look thinner. Don’t bake your skin, just fake it with a good quality self tanner. Give yourself a light coat, using a good quality self tanner. I highly recommend Model Co, it looks natural and it’s so easy to use.
10. Conceal them – we all have parts of our body that we’ll never be happy with. Having sat down one-on-one with over 100 women, the three areas that most women are concerned most about are:
• Top of your arms/ shoulders – a cropped bolero will cover your shoulders and the top of your arms. They can be worn casually with jeans or dressed up over an evening gown.
• Tummy – wear fabrics that drape over your body rather than cling. Jersey fabrics with a heavy drape are best. Tops with rouching details or draped details are also a great way to conceal your tummy.
• Knees – when wearing a skirt or dress that exposes your knees, consider layering your look with mid calf length tights or black opaques. Take emphasis away from your lower half by wearing an amazing statement necklace.