James Wong shares his recipe for a natural herbal body scrub.
• 50g fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
• 50g fresh eucalyptus leaves, finely chopped
• 50g fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
• Peel of 2 lemons
• 300ml olive oil
• 400g sea salt (fine-grained)
• 4 teaspoons vitamin C powder
• Extra eucalyptus leaves and slices of lemon peel, to decorate
1. Place the chopped herbs, black pepper and lemon peel in a pan, then add the olive oil. Place on a medium heat and stir, then leave for 2 minutes with the lid on. Place the paste in a piece of muslin over a sieve and squeeze out all the oil into a bowl below.
2. Mix the sea salt and vitamin C powder in a bowl. Add most of the oil (reserving a little to seal the jar) and stir well. Place the mixture in a sterilized Kilner jar and press down well. Decorate the top with a few eucalyptus leaves and slices of lemon rind. Pour a layer of the remaining oil on top of the salt scrub to keep it airtight.
USE: Apply to wet skin in the bath or shower, when needed. Scrub, then rinse off well with warm water.
STORAGE: Keeps for 6 months, or 1 year in the refrigerator.