Celebrity hairstylist Sally Hershberger shows us how to re-create Zooey's perfect ponytail
If there’s one thing Zooey Deschanel knows how to do, it’s rock chic, shiny, fun and flirty hair that looks like what you’d get if you combined Audrey Hepburn with a 6 year old at a birthday party!
"Love! Love!” says celebrity hairstylist Sally Hershberger. “She has the perfect ponytail on her with that fun '60s vibe that so suits her personality. On her, it’s adorable."
If you’re not a fan of the mature black tie updo and wouldn’t mind borrowing a little of Zooey’s adorability (and let’s face it, who wouldn’t), here’s how…
1. Wash and condition hair. Blot dry with an absorbent towel.
2. Starting at the bangs, blow-dry hair as you normally would, remember to angle the nozzle down the hair shaft for extra shine.
3. Once hair is competently dry, turn on you VS Sassoon Pro Styler Ionic – a tool designed to create both silky smooth straight hair and wicked waves in one!
4. Select the right heat setting for your hair type - there are 30 to choose from. For thick, healthy hair like Zooey’s, opt for a higher heat up to 200 degrees!
5. Starting with your bangs, press hair between the ionic generated heated barrel and top ceramic plate, gently running down the hair shaft away from your roots over your forehead.
6. Section off the rest of your hair and repeat, starting with the crown of your head, clamp sections of hair at the root, and slowly gliding down and back for a smooth sleek static-free finish.
7. As you approach the ends of your hair slowly start twisting your wrist. By rotating the multi-directional barrel in a circular motion you will instantly create waves.
8. Once all ends have been curled, pull hair up into a medium loose, high ponytail. Use hands to smooth the top of your hair and secure tightly with a hair elastic.
9. Smooth over hair with a high gloss serum, add a high pigment, matt red lipstick and some pearls … and it’s time to party!
Expert tip: For extra polish and sophistication, take a 1.5cm section of hair from your ponytail and wrap it around the elastic hiding it completely. Secure in place with bobby pins.