Want to know how to achieve Jessica Alba's gorgeous natural waves? VS Sassoon Guest Artist Brad Ballard shows us how!
Brad Ballard is one of Australia’s top session hair stylists and has worked with some of the biggest names in the world. He also owns a well-known Sydney salon. He is currently working with VS Sassoon as part of their Guest Artist Program, which draws on diverse creative talent from the fashion and beauty industry to bring a fresh take on hair for 2014. Here Brad gives advice on how to achieve Jessica Alba’s look which epitomises the current trend of more natural, less structured styling.
“This low key look is so strong right now it’s even finding a place on the red carpet and at more formal events,” said Brad. “In fact the recent Awards Season showed us that understated is in and high octane high glam is out.”
- Start with freshly shampooed and conditioned hair that has been towel dried. Apply a small amount of blow dry lotion and blast dry your hair with the new VS Sassoon Total Protection Ceramic Intense Salon Professional AC Dryer until your hair is about 90% dry. I love using this dryer. It delivers professional, versatile results even if you aren’t a professional. It’s equipped with high-density ceramic intense technology and a high velocity professional AC motor, which together deliver professional drying speed and even heat distribution to guarantee soft, shiny undamaged hair.
- Using a large round brush and starting at your nape with a section that is slightly smaller than your brush, blow dry as much root lift and bounce into your hair as possible. Continue moving up through your head with the same sized sections until your reach the top of your head. Blowdry the top section back, away from your face. This will create maximum root lift and allow your hair to fall naturally into a part
- Next you will need the new instant heat Ceramic Curler range from VS Sassoon. If you want to create your favourite curls styles fast, fabulously and affordably (it’s a true premium range without the price tag) then look no further. Comprising three curlers in three different barrel sizes, 19mm, 25mm and 38mm use your curler to match your look.
- Using your 38mm Ceramic Curler on the highest heat setting (unless your hair is fragile then use medium to low heat) take sections, starting at the nape that are approximately the same size as your Ceramic Curler. Flat wind your hair around the barrel making sure to keep the ends tucked in and smooth.
- Release when hot to touch and repeat throughout the rest of your head, making sure to keep the section sizes consistent.
- Once you reach the top of your head, wind and curl hair back away from your face, making sure that you leave each section to cool before proceeding to the brushing out stage.
Lightly spray a soft hold hair spray over your hair and brush through using a bristle brush. Make sure not to play with your hair too much as the oils on the palms of your hands will relax the finished style. If you find your hair is too soft, add a sprinkle of styling powder to your roots, then brush for extra volume.
If you would like to a chance to create Jessica’s style using these styling tools, go in the running to win a VS Sassoon hair care pack here.
Stockists: 1800 650 263.
For more information visit www.vssassoon.com.au