Australia is well known for exporting some of the world's most beautiful women. Our beauty expert talks about some of Australia's new 'It' girls and how we can all steal their beauty secrets!
Margot has skipped the homegrown soap opera and hit Tinsel Town with major impact. So how has she kept herself in Hollywood headlines? A major hair colour change, that’s how. Here are some tips from going blonde to brunette a-la Ms Robbie:
- If you are pale and have a pink-undertone to your complexion, neutral tones such as ash blonde, ash brown and dark brown work best.
- If you go dark, ensure your brows go a touch darker too. Have them tinted professionally or colour with a brow pencil at least two shades darker than you are naturally.
- Coloured hair hates hot water, so always use a lukewarm or cooler option when shampooing to ensure it sticks around for longer.
Jessica crosses the divide of actress and singer with aplomb. A visceral joy to watch, Jess has put indigenous beauty on the international map – not to movie mention billboards and magazine covers – and remains naturally gorgeous inside and out. Here are some expert tips on enhancing darker complexions, such as hers, to perfection:
- Test your options on the jawline – not the back of the hand – as the tone of skin varies greatly between the two areas.
- Darker skin tones can be short on radiance, so use a gold-based illuminator – not silver-based - on upper cheekbones.
- Even the darkest tone of foundation can fade fast if not anchored with a primer first. This extra pre-coverage step assures the complexion remains even and in place all day.
This girl is one to watch. This fresh, asymmetrically perfect face – of Australia’s Next Top Model fame - has gone on to stalk the catwalks like a true star. Her alabaster skin and ethereal gaze are often accentuated by a red riot of lipstick. The perfect look this winter, here’s how to recreate your own ruby red pout:
- Fiery kissers take full focus, so eyes should remain nude or neutral, lashes lush and cheeks subtly flush.
- A lip primer will ensure your pout colour stays put. If you don’t have one of these on hand, loofah lips with a dry face washer, apply lip balm – wait for it to sink in – then dab on a minute amount of your cream concealer. Then apply colour.
- To prevent red lipstick getting on your teeth, after applying, wrap a tissue around your finger and pop it in your mouth. Purse your lips around it and slowly remove it. The excess colour will be on the tissue, not your teeth!
Jessica is the multicultural face of David Jones and multiple Sports Illustrated alumni. Highlighting the hereditary hybrid that is modern-day Australia, Jessica is the perfect example of healthy curves and a killer glow. Here are some tips to emulate the all-year-around, all-over tan as she does so well.
- Especially in autumn and winter, exfoliation is key pre-tan so that any dryness – that tanner loves to grab onto – is eliminated fast!
- The more hydrated the skin, the more gorgeous the glow you can achieve, so heap on hydration each morning – allowing at least 20 minutes for it to settle into skin before applying tanner/clothes.
- Never tan over old tan. Ever. Always loofah off last week’s application, shower, moisturize, wait and then reapply. The best tan takes a little time!
Got a question for Emma? Ask her here.