Is shopping for sunglasses sending you into a spin? So many fabulous frames to choose from can make the mind boggle, so here are some exclusive tips on how to shop the right shape when it comes to your shades this summer.
Sunglasses are as much a necessity as they are a luxury, assures Sunglass Hut expert, Francesca Pezzutto. Shading your eyes from the sun is up there with protecting your skin, and there’s no reason you can’t be sun smart and fashion forward while doing it. Here are Francesca’s top tips for choosing the right shades this season.
1. “Always look for a quality lens that is labelled,” Francesca says, adding a ‘category two or three’ lens is best. A favourite of celebrities, the polarised lens, also offers street cred and extra sun protection, she adds.
2. Shopping with a reputable retailer is essential to ensure the product is authentic and not a counterfeit.
3. When matching a shade to suit you, “go for a style that is opposite to your face shape,” she suggests. For example, if you have a rounder face go for squarer sunglasses and if you have sharper features go for a rounder frame.
4. Sunglasses – when cared for – can last for many years. Francesca's top tips for caring for your shades, include:
• Use a microfibre cloth and lens cleaning solution to care for your glasses. This ensures you are not scratching your sunglasses when you clean them.
• Never leave your sunglasses in the car. The heat built up in the car can adversely affect your sunglasses.
• Use the case! A case protects the sunglasses and ensures that it isn’t scratched when in your handbag.
5. Know what you’re paying for, Francesca advises, as sometimes it may be the embellishments rather than the UV protection that are costing you the most. "Different materials are used to produce different sunglasses,” she says. “For example a pair of Bvlgari sunglasses might be embellished with Swarovski crystals and precious stones while other brands like Persol use exclusive hypoallergenic acetate frames as well as glass lenses."
6. Have fun with your sunglass wardrobe. “Our global ambassador Georgia May Jagger has great sunglass style and has fun in them," Francesca explains. "She is experimental in her choices and great at mixing it up. She also chooses a variety of colours and matches them with her make-up, like using a bold sunglass frame with bright red lipstick ."
7. You can never have too many pairs of sunglasses, says Francesca. Shop a variety of glasses depending on the event such as a high-fashion pair for an outdoor wedding, and a sports pair for outdoor exercise.
Styles To Suit:
For a round, fuller face, choose a rectangular shaped frame to create sharper angles:
Ray-Ban (RRP $199.95). Available at Sunglass Hut.
Chely (RRP $320). Available at Sunday Somewhere.
Ralph Lauren (RRP $149). Available at OPSM.
For a squarer or heart-shaped face, choose a rounder frame to soften features:
Emporio Armani (RRP $280). Available at Sunglass Hut.
Burberry (RRP $370). Available at OPSM.
Isabella (RRP $340). Available at Sunday Somewhere.
For an oval face, elegant angles can create a more defined, uplifted profile.
Miu Miu (RRP $490). Available at Sunglass Hut.
Bvlgari (RRP $510). Available at OPSM.
Pixie (RRP $340). Available at Sunday Somewhere.
A truly versatile shape for heart, oval, square or round shaped faces is one that is neither too square or too round:
Burberry (RRP $450). Available at Sunglass Hut.
Specsavers SUN RX 155 (RRP $199). Available at Specsavers.
Specsavers SUN RX 68 (RRP $199). Available at Specsavers.