It's been around for millennia - but body painting as an art form has really soared to new heights over the last couple of decades. We've trawled the web for the 13 most inspiring pieces.
Whether it's Trompe-l'oeil (creating an optical illusion with hyper-realism) using paint in lieu of clothes or just pushing the boundaries of mixed media, artists all over the world are creating incredible - albeit temporary - moving and breathing pieces of art that are being embraced by the advertising, art and fashion world.
Inspired by Skin Wars, the new series on LifeStyle YOU, we've trawled the web for the most amazing art that uses little more than paint and the human body.
1. What you’ll see at first glance is a parrot, but look a little closer… fine art body painter Johannes Stotter specialises in mind-blowing pieces inspired by nature.
2. For London artist Vanessa Wayne, a baby bump provides an even bigger canvas for creative work.
9. Cheryl Painter proves that you don’t need clothes to look good, just a few tubes of paint and plenty of patience.
12. What may look like a banged up car is actually the work of body painting artist Emma Hark. She's even paid attention to the smallest details, including alloy wheels and number plates.
13. We don’t know what’s more incredible. Emma Fay’s painting, or the flexibility of this model!
For an insight into how these dazzling pieces are created, see the makeup magic happen on LifeStyle YOU's Skin Wars, Tuesday nights at 9.30pm.