The Duchess of Sussex is not backing down.
Meghan Markle may be upset with her friends who leaked information to the press, but she's determined to stay loyal and ban the “vicious” naming of the five people who betrayed her trust.
The wife of Prince Harry revealed “I’m not on trial” as she confirmed she would not partake in the “vicious” naming of five friends interviewed by PEOPLE Magazine.
According to UK newspaper The Sun, Megahn has always denied giving her friends permission to defend her to People magazine in the telling interview.
The five close friends of the duchess were interviewed but not named – with Meghan Markle now applying to the High Court to stop their identities being revealed.
In the interview, people closest to Meghan shared intimate details about her relationship with her estranged father, Thomas Markle. At the time, the sources said the Duchess had written a letter to her dad, three months after he was unable to walk her down the aisle following a heart attack.
The letter itself was published by the UK news site Mail on Sunday – which has now resulted in Meghan and her husband Harry suing its publisher Associated Newspapers after deeming it was a breach of her privacy.
The newspaper denied the allegations, stating that Meghan's father wanted its content published to correct false impressions of his relationship with his daughter after they were leaked to the press.
And despite not giving friends permission to stick up for her, the Duchess has fuled a witness statement submitted as part of the application. “These five women are not on trial, and nor am I. The publisher of the Mail on Sunday is the one on trial," the statement begins.
“It is this publisher that acted unlawfully and is attempting to evade accountability; to create a circus and distract from the point of this case – that the Mail on Sunday unlawfully published my private letter.
“Each of these women is a private citizen, young mother, and each has a basic right to privacy.
“Both the Mail on Sunday and the court system have their names on a confidential schedule, but for the Mail on Sunday to expose them in the public domain for no reason other than clickbait and commercial gain is vicious and poses a threat to their emotional and mental wellbeing."
Regardless, A Mail on Sunday spokesman confirmed the publisher had “absolutely no intention” of sharing the identities of Meghan’s five pals.
“But their evidence is at the heart of the case and we see no reason why their identities should be kept secret.
“That is why we told the Duchess’s lawyers last week that the question of their confidentiality should be properly considered by the court.”
Last week, Meghan claimed in court documents that her friends had been “rightly concerned for her welfare when pregnant”.
At the time she named her friends – yet they are only referred to as A, B, C, D and E in the documents – and they could now be called to testify at a trial.
The US magazine which published the explosive interviews previously described them as “Meghan’s inner circle – a longtime friend, a former co-star, a friend from LA, a one-time colleague and a close confidante’”.
In her statement, Megha identified one of her five buddies, Friend A, as the person who told People magazine the letter said: “Dad, I’m so heartbroken. I love you. I have one father.”
She claimed this was an “unfortunately inaccurate” portrayal of her letter, claiming she didn’t know her friend would go public.
Meghan has since left the UK to reside in LA where she and her husband live alongside their baby son Archie.
More on LifeStyle: