Are you about to undergo a home renovation? One of the most important decisions you have to make is to find the right professional for the job.
Whether the job is big or small, no one wants to be on the receiving end of a shonky tradie!
Here are our top tips to ensure you get quality service and the job will be done safely and reliably:
1) Licence and Insurance: It’s essential that a trasdesperson is licenced with the appropriate registration body (in your state) and has up-to-date public liability insurance. Also take note of their ABN details and check thay have a legitimate registered business name and fixed address.
2) References: Find a tradesperson who is willing to show you examples of their past jobs or testimonials from previous customers or trade associations. Word of mouth recommendations are one of the best indicators of reputation. Consult friends, family and colleagues and ask for phone numbers of recent customers and talk to them directly. Also check with the Department of Fair Trading to ensure that no complaints have been lodged against them.
3) Shop around: A good rule of thumb is to get three quotes for each job you require. Ensure the quote is written, includes material prices as well as labour estimates and check exactly how long it is valid for. While it may seem an obvious point, keep in mind that the cheapest quote may not necessarilly be the best.
4) Agree on a timeframe and contract: Be sure to establish a detailed schedule for the job – including start and finish times for any phases. A contract will also ensure the terms are agreed upon before the commencement of the project and cannot be changed without the agreement of both parties.
5) Character: Keep in mind that the tradesman will be spending a lot of time in your home so make sure you feel comfortable around them. And remember – there is never a stupid question.
Brought to you by HYUNDAI i40