Many families will be looking to purchase new homes in the summer, but along with the excitement of this comes the stress of packing up and moving all of your beloved items to your new abode. This task is difficult enough as it is, but enduring this process whilst keeping the children happy is quite a challenge.
Grace Removals has provided five top tips on how to make moving home with children less stressful:
1. Tell the kids as early as possible about your move. Children need as much time as possible to get used to moving house so don’t put off telling them. Turn the move into an adventure so they get excited, highlighting all of the positives e.g. new friends, parks, school, closer to family etc. This will make your life a lot easier as it reduces the chance of tantrums.
2. Time to say goodbye. Give your children time to say goodbye to their friends and surroundings. Make sure they have friend’s addresses, phone numbers and email addresses so they can keep in touch – that way when the time comes to move they will be less likely to resist.
3. Explain exactly what’s happening on moving day. Children like to know what to expect. If you are looking after them on moving day assign specific tasks for them to look after to make them feel important. Let them pack some of their own belongings into boxes and label them. As an alternative if your child is very young let them draw a picture on their ‘special moving box’ and a make a big deal of following the box onto the truck and watching it being unloaded and taken to their room. On the day of the move, arrive before the removalists so your children have a chance to explore the house and get used to it.
4. Help your kids settle in. Once you’ve arrived at your new house unpack your children’s bedroom first. This will allow them to settle and get used to their room more quickly allowing you to tackle the rest of the house in a less stressful environment.
5. Use a reputable removalist firm. Take the stress out of moving with kids by hiring a removalist firm who will pack, transport and unpack the furniture for you leaving you to look after the children. Grace Removals has over 100 years’ experience in providing quality care to belongings and reassurance to families across the country. For more information visit www.graceremovals.com.au.