When your front door opens straight onto your living area, you have nowhere to hide! And while a large space may seem easy to decorate, it can be quite a challenge.
Here are Shaynna Blaze's tips for nailing the open plan living look.
- Controlled spaces such as sitting areas and formal lounges are losing appeal especially in new builds. The trend to follow now is for indoor space meeting outdoor space.
- Gone are the days when the TV cabinet filled half the room. But remember a large TV still needs a large cabinet for balance. If it is wall mounted leave a minimum of 300 mm on either side of it to stop it dominating the space.
- Don’t put too much decoration around the TV – it make it look cluttered and crowded.
- The distance between your sofa and TV needs to be 2 and a half times the size of your TV - or at least 2 meters, whichever is greater.
- Try not to back your couch up against a wall. Not only does this make the room feel smaller it damages the wall too.