If you are thinking of making an interstate move, here are some top tips from our Buying Expert Bryce Holdaway.
Peter and Grace had made the decision to pack up their life in Melbourne and move to Bowral in pursuit of a lifestyle change. However, these guys chose an area based on simply getting a map and drawing a circle around theoretical things that were important to them rather than actually having a specific purpose to move to Bowral. In fact, they had never been to Bowral before and were stepping foot in there for the first time!
They eventually decided that they would stick to living in Victoria and changed their focus on the Macedon Ranges as their preferred destination.
If, like Peter and grace, you are thinking of making and interstate move, here are some tips that you might find useful:
· Go on a Research Trip - visit the place first and actually walk around to see what amenities and lifestyle are on offer
· Check out properties - I know it sounds obvious but make sure the style of housing on offer in your budget will suit you and your lifestyle requirements. It’s important to see what your money will buy you as often the reality can be much lower than the fantasy.
· Understand the area - talk to as many people as you can (shopkeepers, café owners, butcher, rental managers) and see if that suits your way of life. Find out where the schools, hospitals and lifestyle drivers such as restaurants and cafes
· Network - identify what clubs or associations you will join as you will often have few if any friends and family in your destination spot so settling in can be smoother if you plan ahead
· Consider timing - with kids, consider moving during the school year. Whilst it sounds counterproductive, school is the place where kids will find friends the quickest and the structure of the school day will help ease the stress of the move.
· Be Realistic - like Peter and Grace, if the area doesn’t suit after you’ve done your research - don’t be afraid to change your mind