Recent research shows that one in four Australian homeowners will be affected by termites, and with the average termite colony producing up to 900 eggs a day, homeowners are being encouraged to be more cautious than ever - especially since it's not covered by home insurance policies!
With that in mind, we contacted leading Rentokil National Termite Expert, Simon Lean to give us the lowdown:
Top Termite Facts:
• The termite queen can lay up to 900 eggs a day
• 1 in 4 Australian homeowners will be affected by a termite infestation at some point in their life
• Termite damage is not covered by home insurance policies
•It is a common misconception that termites only operate in summer when they actually operate all year round. If termites are found in winter during an inspection, homeowners can expect increased damage in the coming summer months
4 Ways to Prevent Termite Infestation
• Always check the foundations of your house – if you have a sub-floor, make sure you keep it well ventilated and do not store termite susceptible good on the ground
• If you have a concrete slab on ground home ensure you keep weepholes in the brickwork free of debris
• Make sure your downpipes and drainage are in good condition to take moisture away from the foundations of your house as termites are attracted to moisture
• When mulching your garden, always make sure you keep mulch away from the foundations and do not cover vents and weepholes. Only use mulch that is not attractive to termites, and termite resistant timbers when landscaping
For more information or to book a termite inspection visit www.rentokil.com.au or contact 1300 805 087.