In their latest issue men’s magazine Esquire has answered the controversial question: ‘What is a man?
Writer Tom Chiarella begins his ode like this … “A man carries cash. A man looks out for those around him — woman, friend, stranger. A man can cook eggs. A man can always find something good to watch on television. A man makes things — a rock wall, a table, the tuition money. Or he rebuilds — engines, watches, fortunes. He passes along expertise, one man to the next. Know-how survives him. This is immortality.
“A man can speak to dogs. A man fantasizes that kung fu lives deep inside him somewhere. A man knows how to sneak a look at cleavage and doesn't care if he gets busted once in a while. A man is good at his job. Not his work, not his avocation, not his hobby. Not his career. His job. It doesn't matter what his job is, because if a man doesn't like his job, he gets a new one …” You can read the whole article here http://www.esquire.com/features/what-is-a-man-0509
It’s all very well and good to extol the virtues of your gender when you happen to come from the side in question! So we asked our female LifeStyle YOU® readers to pony up their thoughts on what makes a man. Here are their responses:
• A man remembers birthdays and anniversaries.
• A man gets $12 haircuts.
• A man still opens the door for his wife of 10 years.
• A man is not afraid of PDA.
• A man works stubble to his advantage.
• A man does not wear shirts described as peach, watermelon or any other fruit.
• A man balances family, guy-time and alone-time.
• A man watches his daughter play netball.
• A man looks after his Mother.
• A man is not afraid of a hearty, belly laugh.
• A man prefers a steak but will humour you through your vegan phase.
• A man might not be able to fix everything but he’ll give it a go.
• A man can carry a bunch of flowers down the street with pride.
• A man adores you but still has a back bone.
• A man admits he loves chocolate as much as you do.
• A man keeps time. No woman should ever be kept waiting.
• A man doesn’t bang on about being a man. He just is.
• You will never need to check a man’s phone.
So what do you think a man is? Share your thoughts now.
For more male perspective check out Tough Love on LifeStyle YOU®