James Wong's recipe for valerian hot chocolate helps ease anxiety.
Makes 3 cups:
• 3 tablespoons fresh valerian root
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon balm leaves
• 3 teaspoons fresh lavender flowers
• 6 leaves and 3 heads from fresh passion flowers
• Peel of 1 1/2 oranges
• 900ml full-fat milk
• 50g dark chocolate (minimum 50% cocoa solids)
• Dash of vanilla extract
1. Chop the top and bottom from the fresh valerian root. Add the valerian, lemon balm, lavender, passion flowers, orange peel, and milk to a pan and gently heat for 5-10 minutes. Strain.
2. Pour the infused milk back into the pan, then add the dark chocolate and vanilla extract and stir until melted. Drink at once.
USE: You can drink up to 3 cups a day for 2 weeks at a time.
NB. Valerian can cause drowsiness so check with your doctor if you're taking anti-depressants or sleeping pills.