Halloween is a great excuse to get dressed up and spook yourself silly! On the other hand, make sure the family is kept safe with some tips and tricks to make sure the little goblins have a great and safe time on Halloween night!
1. Put a leaflet in neighbours’ letterboxes telling them the time when most kids will trick or treat and how to mark their houses if they want to participate.
2. Have a chat with the kids before you leave about safety, they will no doubt be very excited but it is important to remind them to be safe at all times.
3. Remind kids of their manners, to say please thank you when given lollies.
4. Hold hands and look both ways when you cross the street, you are still walking on public roads and all care should be taken.
5. Have an adult with the group at all times and stay in the group, don't rush ahead to the next house.
6. No eating lollies until you get home! This may seem like an odd request for excited kids but this way you can ensure you know what (particularly important for kids with allergies) and how much is going into your little monsters tummies!
7. Stranger danger rules still apply. Don’t go to unfamiliar on unsafe looking houses or areas. Planning your route in advance is a good idea.
8. If your kids are too little or you aren’t comfortable letting them trick or treat in the street, consider doing it at home. Theme up different doors in your house, have you kids knock on these and hand out lollies when you answer.
9. Another fun activity to consider is “Reverse Trick-or-Treating”, go to houses and hand out lollies! It could be a great way to meet new neighbours and convert some Halloween sceptics.
10. Go easy on the tricks! Halloween is a bit of fun for the whole family, not a chance to alienate your neighbours! Consider having your kids sing a song, tell a joke or perform a magic trick instead.
11. Also consider having thank you notes for the kids to hand out for houses that participate.
12. Some community organisations and schools organise Halloween events, keep an eye out for them and sign up if they have a trick-or-treat register. For more tips head to http://scremeegg.cadbury.com.au/.
Get great Halloween recipes from LifeStyle FOOD.