Steve Ward, the host of the hit relationships program Tough Love, spells out his rules for reading guys.
1. Don’t be weird
2. Don't go fishing for compliments. If a guy thinks you look good, he will tell you.
3. Ladies, if you want to kiss a guy get a little closer. Send the guy some signals. Don't just play with your hair. Make eye contact. Gaze at his lips. And if all else fails, kiss him yourself.
4. There’s no room for hypocrisy in dating. If you won't date guys older than you, don't expect younger guys to want to date you.
5. You should only text on an N2k basis. That's stuff you need to know. Like, "I running late" or "I can't make it." Or "I’m married."
6. Approach everything with an open mind. If a guy senses you're close-minded, he's gonna think you're high-maintenance too.
7. When revealing secrets turn a negative into a positive. Don’t just let him in on a negative experience tell him how it’s helped you grow.
8. When asking a guy out, don’t be nervous. Most guys love being asked out, since they’re always the ones doing the asking. So be confident and be direct.
9. A partial truth is still a lie. Telling only half the truth is like being a little bit pregnant.
10. Keep the past in the past. Past relationships are a lot like passing gas in public. It's best to pretend it never happened.
11. Don’t bring wedding plans up on a date, or else a guy is going to think your biological clock is more like a stopwatch.
12. Most guys love a good cat fight, but nobody wants to date the cat.
13. Don't try to out-think love. Love is emotional, not cerebral. Sometimes you can be so smart it makes you stupid.
14. Shut your yap. Women, I know you want the guy to get to know you so you both could feel more comfortable. But when you give the guy too much information you're going to ruin the fantasy and he's not gonna want to come back for more.
15. A first date is never a good time to air your dirty laundry.
16. Don’t assume the guy you’re dating looks at a dollar bill the same way you do. Everyone has a different relationship with money.
17. Don’t use a secret as a weapon. Reveal it in a way that makes you bond not one that sends him running for cover.
18. Everybody gets rejected, but it's important to try to learn something from it.