Tis’ the season to indulge, but we all want to avoid getting too jolly. Follow these top tips to survive the festive season - because Christmas Day is worth working out for!
Today marks 5 weeks until Christmas. Australian Personal Trainer of the Year Paul Nichols from leading 24/7 fitness chain Jetts, says it’s important to get into a good regime in the lead up to Christmas.
“You can achieve a lot in terms of health and fitness in 5 weeks," he says.
"Regular exercise speeds up your metabolism, which means your body will burn off that pork crackling even faster. Also - if you’ve already built up a good workout habit, it will be easier to get back into it after your Christmas holidays. In other words, you’ll be less likely to fall off the wagon completely" he says.
Here are Paul’s top tips to maintain your motivation and your figure throughout the festivities:
Top Tips to stay motivated:
• Plan your work-outs to create clarity and keep you on track.
• Link goals and outcomes to the emotions behind them eg feeling confident in your new bikini at the beach on Christmas Day.
• Don’t just judge results on the scales; use girth measurements, a goal outfit, and re-measure regularly to keep you inspired.
To Stay in Shape
• Aim for 4 – 6 workouts per week; with 2 – 3 resistance training and 2 – 3 high-intensity cardio sessions.
• Ensure you are challenging your muscles with weight training. This is essential for body composition because muscle is active tissue and therefore will increase your resting metabolic rate.
• Mix-up your workouts and push hard – the body only changes in response to stimulus so the more you push yourself the greater the results.
Jetts pioneered the 24/7 no contracts gym concept in Australia six years ago, and is now the leading 24/7 health and fitness group in the country.