If you haven't skipped roped since primary school, then now is the time to get jumping - because it's your passport to a hot summer body! Commit to this simple exercise routine a few times a week, and along with a balanced healthy diet, you’ll be bikini ready in no time. Australian model, actress, singer and TV personality Erika Heynatz, currently starring in ‘Legally Blonde, The Musical’ shows us how...
1. A little warm-up is always a good idea. Just a few quick calf, hamstring and quad stretch or a few forward and side leg swings will do it.
2. Choose a rope with weighted handles or an Olympic Rope ( here which are the ropes we use in Legally Blonde the Musical) with small weighted plastic pellets along the rope) The very slight weight in the rope is also fantastic for toning your arms and back while you skip.
3. Try to do interval training. Short bursts of skipping with rest breaks in between. Start with a minute of basic jumping, followed by a minute of rest, then build up your jump time. This is the best form of fat burning exercise and a super-fast way to get fit!
4. Try to keep your elbows close to your waist rather than out wide, and land with a slight bend in your knee to soften the impact on your joints. Some good tunes also help! Try to increase your speed as you get fitter, then slightly vary the distance that you hold your arms out and change up your steps. Have a look at how right here.
5. A skipping rope is the perfect portable gym that you can travel with and do anywhere, anytime. 10 minutes in the equivalent energy expenditure of a 30 minute run!