James Wong makes a natural deodorant with a lovely fresh pine scent.
• 1/2 teaspoon pine resin
• 250ml vodka (or just enough to cover the ingredients)
• Rind of 2 lemons, finely chopped
• Rind of 2 oranges, finely chopped
• 10 fresh bay leaves, finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons fresh pine needles, finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
• 2 tablespoons glycerine
• 100ml orange blossom water
1. Crush the pine resin in a pestle and mortar until you have a very fine powder. Pour over 1 tablespoon of vodka and stir to dissolve. The mixture should form a thin paste. Add the chopped lemon and orange rind to the mortar and stir with a spoon to remove the last traces of sticky resin from the sides.
2. Place the resin mixture along with the bay leaves, pine needles and thyme in a Kilner jar. Add enough vodka to cover, then seal and leave in a dark place for 2 weeks to 1 month.
3. When ready, strain off the herbs through a muslin-lined sieve into a jug, and stir in the glycerine and orange blossom water. Pour into a 100ml glass spray bottle.
USE: Do a 24-hour test on a small patch of skin before using. Shake well and apply every morning to underarms, feet, etc.
STORAGE: Keeps for up to 1 year in a cool,dry place.