A set of photos, released by top fire officials, has revealed the dangers of charging your phone in bed.
The Newton Fire Department shared photos of the scorched sheets with a warning to families to ensure they don’t leave their phones on charge under their pillows or wrapped up in sheets as they sleep.
Taking to Facebook, fire bosses warned that teenagers, especially, are at risk of falling asleep with their phone in their bed while it’s charging.
They wrote, “Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter.
“The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your mobile devices.”
They added, "This will happen to any device that is charged between the bed and a pillow. No air flow to the device. Causes extreme heat and spontaneous combustion."
Many commenters on the post revealed they were also worried about using generic chargers which can be bought cheaply but might not have been rigorously tested.
"If you buy a non-brand charger for $3, you'll get what you paid for," said one.
But fire chiefs were quick to point out that every charger is at risk from combusting if it has no air flow.
This isn't the only danger associated with charging your mobile near your bed at night.
Although it's not life-threatening, a National Sleep Foundation study reported that 72% of all children and 89% of teens have at least one device in their bedroom Most of this technology is used near bedtime, often in bed.
Light emitted from these devices can affect the circadian rhythm, (your internal biological timing mechanic), making it harder to fall and stay asleep.
"The upshot of all of this," says researcher Jane Wright. "Is that we need to ensure phones are never in our bedrooms or close to our beds at night. It's good practice from a health point of view and a safety one."