James Wong creates a natural lotion to get rid of headlice.
Makes enough for 5-10 doses:
• 20 tablespoons (approx. 100 g) fresh rosemary leaves
• 20 tablespoons (approx. 25 g) fresh lavender flowers
• 200ml neem oil
• 200ml almond oil
• 6 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tablespoons tea tree oil
1. Strip the rosemary leaves and lavender flowers from their sprigs.
2. Combine the neem and almond oil together in a measuring jug.
3. Crush half the rosemary and lavender in a mortar and pestle with a little of the oil, to help ease the crushing process. Place the mashed-up herbs in a saucepan. Repeat with the second half of the rosemary and lavender, again adding a little oil for crushing.
4. Place the crushed herbs, neem and almond oil in the pan, and add the chopped garlic. Heat gently for about 20 minutes.
5. Strain through a sieve lined with muslin. Add the tea tree oil to the reserved oil, stir, then filter into a sterilised 500ml bottle.
USE: If using immediately, apply to dry hair, making sure that the hair is completely covered and that the oil penetrates to the scalp. Cover with a towel and leave on for at least 1 hour, or overnight if possible. Then wash off with two applications of shampoo. Apply conditioner, and comb through with a nit comb. Use the next application 7 days later, to deal with any nits that may hatch during that time. Comb through with the nit comb every 3 days.
STORAGE: Keeps for 6 months.