James Wong makes a natural cough syrup.
If using dried marshmallow root:
• 4 tablespoons dried marshmallow root, chopped roughly
• 2 dried liquorice roots, broken up into small pieces
• 3 heads/bunches fresh elderberries
• 1 teaspoon cloves
• Peel of 1 mandarin
• 1 teaspoon aniseed seeds
• 1 sprig fresh eucalyptus leaves (about 8)
• 500ml water
• 100ml honey
• Juice of 1 lime
• 5 tablespoons glycerine
If using fresh marshmallow root:
• 8 tablespoons fresh marshmallow root, chopped roughly
• 4 dried liquorice roots, broken up into small pieces
• Other ingredients as above
1. Put the marshmallow, liquorice, elderberries, cloves, mandarin peel, aniseed and eucalyptus leaves into a pan with the water. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by one-fifth. Remove the liquorice and eucalyptus leaves and discard.
2. Blend the mixture in a liquidizer until smooth. Pour back into the pan and add the honey, lime juice and glycerine, then stir and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Pour into sterilised, clear 250 ml bottles.
USE: Take 2 tablespoons, 3 times a day for no more than 5 days.
STORAGE: Keep refrigerated. Use within 2 weeks.