A Sydney mum sobbed when she saw a professional photo of herself and her new baby - and it jolted into losing nearly 40kg.
Kylie Pryor, 37, was keen to get some photos of herself breastfeeding her third baby, Abi, but when she saw them she realised she needed it to lose weight that had been creeping on during all three pregnancies.
"I look back at that photo now when I was 103kg," says Kylie. "And I just look so uncomfortable. I can't believe it. I realised I didn't like how I looked and something needed to change. I am only 161cm (5ft3) so I was a size 18 and I knew I was just going to get bigger."
Pic: Kylie Prior/The Healthy Mummy
Kylie had tried plenty of fad and shake diets that had left her starving her before so she knew she had to find something that would enable her to look and feel better, but she didn't want to totally give up chocolate and wine. She'd found The Healthy Mummy on Facebook and decided to give it a try.
"I realise I had no knowledge of how to eat healthily and I hated exercise," admits Kylie.
"So I wanted a plan that gave me recipes and then I would just go for a walk. Having a meal plan really helped me make better choices with my meals.
"My issues were never eating junk food or takeaways every night, it was all about portion size and eating too much pasta and bread at every meal."
"I would have two pieces of toast for breakfast, then a big sandwich and then dinner was a huge plate of pasta. I didn't realise that portion size was so important," she says.
So Kylie and her husband, Justin who didn't need to lose weight, stuck religiously to their meal plans on The Healthy Mummy app and because she only ate what was there, the weight started to come off. In her first year she lost 30kg.
Pic: Kylie Prior/The Healthy Mummy
"These days I will have scrambled egg with one piece of toast for breakfast, maybe a salad or a soup or an omelette for lunch, because I love eggs! And then it's dinner made from noodles or rice but with very carefully measured portions," says Kylie.
"I don't want to pretend it's easy," says Kylie. "When I started, my goal was to lose 45kg but that is a huge target so I do it in 5kg sections. There were definitely days and weeks when my weight loss didn't happen, but I just kept going."
Eventually Kylie added in gym sessions too and found she fell in love with exercise and goes to the gym five days a week.
She now weighs 67kg and is a healthy size 10 and loves running around with her three children Reece, seven, Brianna, five and Abi now three.
So what's the biggest thing that Kylie has learned during her weight loss journey?
"There's a saying that says Happy Wife, Happy Life but I also believe in Happy Mum, Happy Kids. Putting yourself out there and losing this weight has changed everything for me," she admits.
"I'd love to lose a little more but when I think back to how I used to be, I am so happy now."
And her weight loss has inspired others too.
"The other day a lady stopped me in the street because she had seen me on Facebook with my weight loss pictures. That was so nice!"
Kylie's weight loss stats
Then - 103kg, size 18
Now - 67kg, size 10
Lost more than 120cm from her body!
Kylie's Favourite recipe
The Healthy Mummy Mexican Lasagna (Serves 4)
Pic: The Healthy Mummy
- 400 g premium beef mince
- 410 g can of salt reduced red kidney beans drained and rinsed well
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 2 medium onions finely diced
- 1 red capsicum finely chopped
- 400 g can salt reduced diced tomatoes
- 35 g sachet salt reduced taco seasoning
- 5 wholegrain wraps/tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion for a couple of minutes, then add 1 tbsp water (this takes away the need for any added oil) and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, and water has evaporated.
- Increase the heat to high and add the mince.
- Cook, stirring, until there are no lumps and mince is brown.
- Add grated carrot, chopped capsicum, red kidney beans, diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. Stir and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Lightly spray an oven safe dish with cooking spray.
- Layer the dish with 2 x tortillas, then half of the meat mixture, 1 x tortilla, the remaining meat mixture, 2 more tortillas, then sour cream. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Calories per serve: 575
The Healthy Mummy offers completely holistic health programs with The Healthy Mummy App with easy to do meal and exercise plans on the 28 Day Challenge.
Also on LifeStyle: