While it's not always easy, resilience is one of the key life skills that can help you cope when times get tough. The Happiness Institute provides some expert pointers on how to effectively bounce back through hardship.
A common misconception is that happiness is about ‘the good times,’ subsequently overlooking the significance of working through the hardships we all face every now and then.
According to The Happiness Institute, the difference between happy people and others is their ability to more effectively bounce back from difficulties. This characteristic of resilience is what in turn generates greater happiness.
On this premise, the Institute suggests a set of resilience tips to observe the next time you are experiencing hardship. In doing so, you should also experience happiness during times of difficulty.
- Reach out and utilise your support network (don’t be afraid to ask for help)
- When and where appropriate, use humour and laughter to see things differently and to remain positive
- By all means, learn from your experiences, but don’t dwell on the past (especially on or about things that can’t be changed)
- Practice helpful thinking strategies and do whatever you can to remain hopeful & optimistic about the future
- Don’t catastrophise and keep things in perspective
- Look after your (physical) health including making sure you get plenty of sleep and rest
- Accept the reality that the world, and the people in it, are not perfect, and accept the inevitability of change
- Don’t lose sight of your purpose, direction and goals, nor of your dream and ambitions
- Don’t stop working towards your goals
- Try to learn more about yourself and focus on the positives within yourself
- Focus, also, on all the positives in the world
For more information visit www.thehappinessinstitute.com