James Wong's recipe for goji berry and chicken soup wards off colds and flu.
• 2 tablespoons dried echinacea root
• 200ml water, freshly boiled
• 5 tablespoons goji berries, fresh or dried
• 2L chicken stock (homemade or from stock cubes)
• 3 chicken thighs or drumsticks (preferably organic)
• 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
• 12 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 10cm root ginger, peeled and shredded
• 2 fresh medium-sized chillies, finely sliced
• 8 garlic cloves,c hopped
• Extra sliced ginger and chillis, to serve
1. Combine the dried echinacea root with the water in a bowl to make a simple infusion. In another bowl, pour just enough cold water over the goji berries to cover, and leave to rehydrate. Set the echinacea and goji berries aside and leave to stand.
2. Place the stock and chicken pieces in a large pan or slow cooker. Add the sliced onions, mushrooms, ginger and chillies and place around the chicken in the pan. On a very low heat, simmer gently for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until the chicken is tender and falls apart. Take off the heat.
3. Five minutes before serving, add the goji berries and chopped garlic. Finally, strain the echinacea infusion and add this to the soup, reheating if necessary.
4. Serve by ladling into bowls and garnishing with sliced ginger and chilli for an extra kick.
USE: Makes enough for 4. Can be eaten with noodles, if wished.