James Wong's recipe for echinacea ice lollies is a delicious way to help ward off colds and infection.
To make the tincture:
• 20 g fresh echinacea root
• 80 ml vodka
For the ice lollies:
• 2 medium-sized red chillis
• 8 cm root ginger
• 240 ml honey
• 1 sachet animal gelatine
• 800 ml cranberry juice
• Juice of 2 large lemons
• 80 ml Echinacea Tincture (see above)
1. Wash and chop the echinacea root, then put in a jar and pour over the vodka to cover completely. Leave for 2-4 weeks.
2. Wash and slice the chillis. Peel and thinly slice the ginger.
3. Combine the chillis, ginger, honey, gelatine and cranberry juice in a saucepan, then stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool. Sieve into a bowl.
4. When the drained liquid is cool, stir in the lemon juice and Echinacea Tincture. Pour into ice lolly moulds and freeze.
NB. Contains alcohol so not suitable for children.
Use: Take during colds and infection - 1 a day for up to 2 weeks. Each lolly contains one typical dose of Echinacea.
STORAGE: The lollies keep in the freezer for 3 months.