Are you feeling a little lacklustre in the bedroom? Fitness expert and celebrity trainer Blake Worrall-Thompson explains why and has six simple ways to rev up your sex drive.
For those in Australia the summer days are starting to wind up and it’s likely you’ll replace those balmy days in the sun with more time indoors - and potentially COULD lead to more minutes spent in bed. There is nothing quite like staying under the cosy doona for an extra hour on a lazy Saturday or Sunday.
That extra time beneath the sheets SHOULD mean more ‘adult cuddles’ but for many people, both men and women, there is less of that tiger (woods) in you now than ever before. Are you asking yourself why?
Is it the kids? Stress? Lack of time? You’re lucky if you even have time to look for a fresh pair of socks these days let alone have some quality time under the sheets, and when you do all you want to do is sleep! What has the world come to!
I recently had a friend talk about the extreme sex drive she is currently experiencing and a lack of sex drive her husband has. What’s behind this lack of sex drive? Why is Viagra one of the leading drugs in the world? Here are all the answers you need to get that sex drive from first gear to fifth!
1. You’re running around like a headless chook: You spend all your day working, cooking, cleaning, looking after everyone else and by 11:30 you are so exhausted you collapse in a heap. The chronic stresses of modern life can trigger a surge of hormonal changes that mess with your body’s sexual-response cycle and leaving you feeling like you would rather stare at the wall than have sex. How about a small mini holiday? It can be as simple as three days. “People are overworked and stressed, and they translate their overworked, stressed lives to a lousy sex life’, suggests Irwin Goldstein, MD, director of San Diego Sexual Medicine.
2. You’re not HAPPY JAN!: Many find themselves withdrawing or not willing to experiment because they feel overweight or their bodies have changed shape. Studies have shown that as little as a 3 kilo loss in weight can jump start the sex drive and have you feeling much better about the way you look!
3. Those meds you’re taking!: When you’re feeling down your desire for sex can take a big hit, particularly if you’re female. Antidepressants may lift your spirits temporarily, but some affect your interest in sex long term. If you notice your sex drive has taken a drive since you started new meds, speak to your doctor.
4. You’re sick as a dog!: A number of women who are treated for low libido end up having an endocrine problem, such as undiagnosed thyroid disease, which can lead to exhaustion, depression, low sexual desire, and fertility problems. Check with your doctor to see if your thyroid is working correctly and whether you are suffering from any other chronic diseases that may affect your sex drive.
5. Maximise your exercise!: If you want to be “interested” then improve your circulation. Exercise can increase blood flow, which in theory can make sex more enjoyable as the arousal for both men and women involves increased blood flow to the genital area.Exercise boosts endorphins, which makes you happier and increases your energy. Not to mention that dropping body fat makes you feel sexier.
6. Eat a healthy diet: Too much fat in the system doesn’t allow much blood supply to the areas of importance. This is one of the reasons why there is a correlation between heart disease and erectile dysfunction.Excess weight also messes with your hormones. “Obesity can shift the balance between estrogen and testosterone,” says Michael Krychman, MD, executive director of the Southern California Center for Sexual Health and Survivorship Medicine. And low testosterone can bring down your sex drive. For example, an iron deficiency can lead to fatigue, which in turn can lead to low libido. (Eat your broccoli!)
ABOUT BLAKE WORRALL-THOMPSON
Blake is one of Australia's leading health professionals and the founder of the Ministry of Wellbeing. Previously, he owned and operated Raw Solutions, a high end personal training organisation and has also worked with diverse range of clients from bankers to A-list celebrities.
Blake is the celebrity trainer on Eat Yourself Sexy which is coming soon to LifeStyle YOU!