Summer is just around the corner, and gyms are being frequented by those wanting to shape-up. The increased emphasis on fitness comes with an increased inclination to take short-cuts, but many widely accepted fitness habits lead to nowhere - fast.
Here are five false fitness beliefs that are holding you back:
1. Fasting and cutting carbs is a great way to lose fat - While fasting may help you lose weight in the short term, it sends the body into starvation mode where it holds onto fat. Carbohydrates are the body’s main fuel supply for exercise and physical activity, so they’re vital.
2. Long cardio sessions are the best way to lose weight - The body is lazy – it only adapts during periods of discomfort. High Intensity Interval Training has been shown to burn more calories and keep the metabolism elevated for longer – so get moving!
3. Lifting heavier weights will produce better results - Technique should never be sacrificed. If you don’t execute the exercises properly you won’t see results. Improvements in your body shape will be more impressive than pushing extra kilos.
4. Group fitness classes are all you need to do at the gym - Progress with your body takes more than just burning calories. You will see much better results if you follow the direction of a training program and set yourself clear fitness goals.
5. Friends and the internet can tell you everything you need to know about fitness - Listening to the wrong people will not only impact your results, it could also cause serious injury. Don’t be too proud to ask for advice – utilize the expertise of professional trainers. It will help you in the long run.