It’s easy to become run down during the cold and flu season, with many of us feeling the effects of a cold coming into Spring.
If you’ve caught a cold, there are a few good habits that may help you fight it quickly so you can get back to feeling your best.
Our friends at Vicks share with us 10 top tips to keep the symptoms at bay and help you feel at your best this season.
- Rug Up – It may sound simple enough, but keeping warm between seasons is key to fighting off the common cold. Dress warmly, particularly if heading out after dark!
- In Bed? Elevate Your Head - Adding an extra pillow under your head at night can help to alleviate coughs and ease sinus pressure. Make sure you get at least eight hours of sleep every night and apply Vicks VapoRub before bed to help relieve nasal congestion and minor muscle aches for a good night’s sleep.
- Wash your hands – The surest way to catch a cold is to catch the germs that cause the cold. In fact, hand-washing is so important in eliminating germs, the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention made official guidelines!
- Calm itching throats – Don’t let a dry, itchy throat stop you from going about your daily tasks. Coat your throat with the naturally-flavoured range of Vicks VapoNaturals throat drops. For 2-in-1 relief, try Vicks VapoDrops to soothe your throat and clear your nose.
- Drink plenty of water - Be especially vigilant about drinking at least six to eight glasses of water a day during the cold and flu season. Water keeps your digestion working well, flushes the system and helps fights fatigue.
- Love your shower – Care for a stuffy head by running a hot shower or bath and let the steam fill the room; a simple trick that might even help you breathe easier!
- Be Prepared – Coughs and sniffles can be a nuisance. Be prepared by keeping your favourite Vicks products on hand for when symptoms strike. If you’re out and about, carry Vicks Sinex with you for quick and effective relief from a blocked nose for up to 12 hours.
- Keep exercise to a minimum – Gentle exercise is ok if you’re fighting cold symptoms, the simple act of sweating can help expel harmful germs, but if you have a fever, give your gym shoes a rest.
- Eat for Relief - Hot soups and drinks can work wonders for clearing a stuffy nose.
Be Patient – Give your body time to recover!
For more information, visit www.vicks.com.au