The garden should be every young child’s playground. Charlie Albone shows us how to create a safe oasis in your backyard!
Here are my tips to turn your backyard into a safe, exciting, much better option than the television.
- Make sure there is a shady place for your children to play. Put play equipment in shaded areas or put up a shade cloth or pergola.
- Kids love gardening so give them a pot or their own patch to create their own garden. Strawberries and petunias are favourites.
- Kids don’t have much patience so get things that a really quick growing plants like mint and radish so start with a mix of seed and established plants to create an instant garden with ongoing interest.
- For very active children, you’ll want to make sure your garden can tolerate ball games and a bit of bashing around. Grasses, sedges and flax look great when planted en mass and are low maintenance for busy parents.
- Lastly, don’t forget yourself. You’ll want a comfortable place where you can relax and easily supervise you’re the kids
Got a question for Charlie? Ask him here.