To attract the birds to your backyard this spring, follow these tips to building your own beautiful birdhouse.
It's springtime and wouldn't it be lovely to see all the gorgeous birds basking in the warm rays right from your kitchen window? It's time to create your very own birdhouse!
There are many models that won't take you more than a couple hours on a Sunday afternoon to construct and will add a great deal to your garden design.
- First, decide what size and shape you want your birdhouse to be and then sketch the design with dimensions. The best birdhouse is easy to clean, durable, repels rain and has good ventilation.
- For the most basic birdhouse, you will need a 6' wide wooden board and a few everyday tools. So dig out some nails, wood glue, paint, a hammer, jigsaw and a drill (ideally with a hole saw drill bit), and get to work.
- Some tips for choosing your materials: make sure to use wood that's not treated with any toxic chemicals, choose straight boards of the same thickness and if you reuse wood make sure it's not rotten.
- To ensure the pieces align properly, use an L-square and a pencil to mark the boards. Don't rush the process - trying to get the job done too quickly results in careless mistakes. It might seem like extra work, but it will help everything come together smoothly and make your birdhouse more aesthetically pleasing.
- Use wood glue to put all the pieces together, taking great care that each side aligns correctly. In order to prevent the wood from splitting, it's a good idea to drill a shallow hole designating where you will insert the nails. Try not to hammer the nails using too much brute strength, as you may damage your precious birdhouse in the process.
- Alternatively, if you or your partner are particularly crafty, you can build a more elaborate bird feeder using mosaic tiles or dishware. You can also decorate the feeder with colourful pebbles and buttons.
Craft ideas like homemade bird feeders are simple to make and also fabulously thoughtful gifts for family members with a spring birthday.