Use our expert guide frmo Philips to find the right lighting for your outside space.
The trend today is to bring the outdoors in and make it a part of our house. It should be a cosy, intimate space to rest and have a glass of wine after a difficult day at the office. The balcony or garden is also a space where you can have a romantic outdoor dinner with your partner, or where your children can go for a bit of peace and quiet. All this, while looking upon the peaceful beauty of nature, which is an essential addition to every home.
• Place weather proof lanterns around your outside area to give the place a more romantic feel.
• Create pools of light by lighting lower areas in your balcony and garden. One such way is to illuminate pot plant from the bottom up.
• The garden is exposed to harsh weather, so make sure that such lights are certified for outdoor use. Ask for lights that come with IP44 rating (Ingress Protection).
• Switches for most of the lights in your garden should be operated from indoors. This is for safety and convenience.
• Post lights installed at the top of gate posts and around the perimeter of your garden will help to illuminate the perimeter of your home.
• Installing a small water feature with illumination is a perfect focal point for a balcony garden. The sound of streaming water will help to lull occupants into relaxation
What’s the best way to light my patio?
The trend today is to bring outdoors in and make it part of the home. It should be a cozy, intimate space to rest and relax while enjoying the peaceful beauty of nature.
How can I light the different areas of my garden?
You can create pools of light by lighting the lower areas in your garden. The garden is exposed to harsh weather, so make sure that such lights are certified for outdoor use. Also bear in mind that there are solutions for both general illumination and more subtle night-time lighting.
For more info visit http://www.lighting.philips.com.au