River Cottage has found a home on the South Coast of New South Wales in Central Tilba. The 1930s weatherboard cottage sits on 23 acres at the base
of Mount Dromedary and was a working diary farm up until the 1970s.
Situated 360km south of Sydney on the Princes Highway, the villages of Central Tilba (pop. 80) and Tilba Tilba (pop. 30) lie in the fertile shadow of Mount Dromedary (806m).
On the coast, the Tilba area offers clean uncrowded beaches and beautiful forested mountains.
Long before European settlement the indigenous Yuin tribe inhabited the Tilba area. The main landmark “Gulaga” or mother mountain, known as Mount Dromedary, is sacred to the Yuin people. Captain Cook named it Mount Dromedary after observing its camel-like shape from his ship, the “Endeavour” in 1770.
Mount Dromedary is the main cone of an extinct volcano which last erupted 90 million years ago. Little Dromedary (Najanuga) and Montague Island (Barunguba), are remnants of two smaller volcanic cones. Alluvial and reef gold were discovered on Mount Dromedary in the late 1800s. The mountain is now a flora reserve.
In the 1960s the diary industry declined and it was only then, through the efforts of townspeople and the National Trust, that the historic character of the village was preserved.