When deciding how to choose plants for your garden it really comes down to location, location, location. The easiest way is by looking around you and seeing what is already thriving in your immediate surroundings. This garden is literally in the bush and because there is no definition between what is garden and what is bush, we definitely want to choose plants that will blend with the natural surrounding landscape and not clash with it. Incorporating natives that seem to be thriving in the immediate area surrounding your garden has the added bonus that you know it won't need a lot of TLC. If it's coping in its own right with the natural precipitation for the area, then chances are you probably won't need to water it much, if at all, once it has established itself in your brand new garden.
We have enlisted the help of the Blue Mountains Wildplant Rescue Service (WRS) with the hope that the surrounding plants that we would like to use throughout the garden scheme, ie : Grass trees, Gahnias, Joyceas, are able to be cultivated and are actually what we think they are.
The other important fact to consider when choosing your plants is, what job do you want it to do? Plants fulfil several roles and provide screening, a feature, ground cover and bulk. We have used the following plants for the following reasons:
- Pittosporum silver sheen - will provide screening from the neighbours
- Blueberry ash 'elaecarpus prima donna' - will provide a buffer between the neighbour's house and the screen and provide a beautiful pink backdrop to the garden when in flower.
- Grass Tree Xanthorrhoea johnsonii - is a true feature plant bacuse of its structural trunk and hairs.
- Banksia spinulosa - provides bulk to the scheme
- Various Poas which include eskdale, sieberiana, labillardieri - are ground cover plants and really tie the scheme together.
- Gahnia, Flannel flowers and Joicea - also form the ground cover and carpet the garden floor.
3 Withers Road
Kellyville NSW 2155
Tel: 021300 787 401
Blue Mountains Wildplant Rescue
|Mt Annan Botanic Garden|
Commercial Plant Production
Tel: 4634 7917
Sydney Wildflower Nursery South