Feeling underwhelmed with your home's interior? An easy and cost-effective way to give the home a much needed facelift is to brighten up your rooms with a coat of fresh paint. A coloured feature wall or new room colour can change the feel of your home in an instant.
Bunnings National Paint Buyer, Michael Heanue, provides his top tips when undergoing a paint renovation at home:
• Before updating the home with a new coat of paint, consider the theme or feel are you hoping to achieve.
• Always match the home's décor to the colour and painting scheme being applied to the home's interior. For example, nautical themed furniture may suit a striped blue and white paint effect, while a baby's nursery is suited to soft blue, yellow and pink shades.
• Take advantage of sample cards and compare them against the wall at home. It's also a good idea to utilise trial pots so you can trial a few different colours on your wall to help decide which colour best suits the room.
• Read through home and lifestyle magazines and newspapers for inspiration as they provide a variety of creative and new ideas that may be suited to your home.
• If you're unsure about which brand or type of lacquer is best suited for your desired painting task, speak to a Bunnings expert team member. Customers can visit www.bunnings.com.au for D.I.Y. brochures and videos, or to download the free mobile painting app. Bunnings also provide an online paint calculator which helps determine how much paint is required to get the job done.
• When undergoing painting jobs, consider the direction of the room. North and west facing rooms receive a lot of light so are suited to both light and dark colours, however south and east facing rooms are naturally darker so lighter colours work well to brighten these spaces.
• Ensure you are equipped with the correct paint accessories before beginning your painting project. This includes brushes, paint trays, drop sheets and overalls.
• Research different painting techniques and apply them to your project. There are certain styles of brushing techniques that can add a different look to the home. For example, quick back and forth brush strokes can add a stylish suede look.
Choosing your colour
1 - White - White and neutrals are the most versatile colours and can create space and light in every room. A neutral room allows you to add splashes of colour, such as furnishing and artwork, to brighten up the space. Shades include cooler or warmer whites and neutrals, such as greys, beiges, tans, creams and coffees.
2 - Blue - Blue is a calming colour, offering tranquillity and serenity. Blues work well with other colours such as white, yellow, green and neutrals. Popular blue shades range from sky blue and aqua to royal blue, sea blue and indigo.
3 - Orange - Orange is a very fashionable colour. Rustic shades pair well with browns and timber, while brighter orange colours suit a neutral palette. Bright oranges make fantastic feature walls and add intense colour to a room.
4 - Brown - Browns are a great neutral colour and work well with whites or accents of brighter colours such as blues and greens. Different shades of brown include stone, beige, tan, chocolate and mocha.
5 - Green - Greens create a cool and fresh atmosphere for living areas, kitchens and bedrooms. Relaxing and restful to the eye, shades of green can be found in lime, mint, citrus, olive and teal.
6 - Purple - Purple is a regal colour and can create an atmosphere of grandeur in any room. Its strong appearance makes it ideal for feature walls. Purple shades include lilac, lavender, violet, eggplant and plum.
Get the look
7 - British Paints InOne Interior 2L (1420360) - Save time with this low sheen, easy to apply interior paint. Requiring only one coat, the simple to clean lacquer is ideal as a base for your next paint venture.
8 - Paint Design Silk Dulux 4L White (1408502) - Create a silky smooth finish with this water based paint. Available in designer colours, the versatile lacquer provides a unique design statement for the home.
9 - Taubmans Paint Interior Endure 2l L/sheen Neutral (1540237) - Touch dry in just 30 minutes, this interior paint is engineered with Nanoguard, ensuring stains can be wiped away without compromising the quality of the paint or damaging the finish on your walls. Taubmans Endure Interior Low Sheen Neutral is 100% acrylic and provides excellent mould and mildew protection throughout the life of the paint, making your home environment cleaner and healthier.
10 - British Paint Interior inColour 10l L/sheen White (1420003) - With low odour and a 30 minute drying time, this paint is ideal for those keen to get the job done quickly., Requiring no undercoat, the easy to clean paint protects against mould, fungus and mildew.
11 - Taubmans Undercoat 3 In 1 1l Sealer Primer (1540566) - Taubmans 3 in 1 is a high performance water based, all-purpose primer, sealer and undercoat that is suitable for both interior and exterior applications. It has outstanding hiding, filling and sanding properties and is also quick drying.
12 - Paint Design Metallic Dulux 2l Interior (1370047) - Get creative in the home with this inventive metallic shine. The water based paint is suited for interior use and is ideal for feature walls.
13 - Paint Brush Synthetic Monarch 63mm Bamboo Handle Wall Brush (1660361) - Give the home an ultra-smooth finish with this Monarch brush equipped with premium synthetic filament. The eco-friendly paint applicator is made from renewable resources and has a lightweight, biodegradable handle for added comfort.
14 - Shur-Line 230mm 5pc Teflon Painting Kit (1560129) - Painting just got easier with this versatile kit, equipped with two teflon covers, paint edger, deep well tray and five wire frame. While holding up to 1 litres of paint, the kit also helps eliminate masking.
15 - Drop Sheet Canvas Wagner 5x12ft Heavy Duty (1660140) - Protect floors and furniture when painting with this professionally graded, heavy duty, 1.52 x 3.65 metre drop cloth.
For more information on Bunnings' wide range of paints and accessories, please visit www.bunnings.com.au