To ensure the festive season goes off without a hitch, householders should identify potential fire hazards around the home and take the necessary precautions to prevent a fire. 'Wormald' offers the following tips.
Fire Protection Equipment
- Ensure smoke alarms are installed and in proper working order
- Equip your home with appropriate fire extinguishers and fire blankets and place them in accessible locations
- Locate Christmas trees a safe distance from any potential fire starting sources such as lamps or electrical sockets
- Keep Christmas trees and decorations away from lights or candle flames
- Source fairy lights from a reliable supplier, and do not overload electrical sockets with excessive number of lights or other electrical appliances
- Be aware of any fire restrictions that you should be compliant with
- Be sure to keep the barbecue monitored whilst lit. Once finished, turn off the gas cylinder and let the remaining gas in the pipe run through the BBQ before shutting it off
- Always keep lighters and matches away from children
- If a gas leak should occur, shut off the cylinder immediately and allow any gas to dissipate
- Allow hot ashes or coals to cool for 48 hours before removing them
Summer fire safety tips can be downloaded from Wormald’s resource centre.