We all have one of those rooms that is just that little bit teeny! So how can you make it bigger without going to the expense of knocking down walls or adding an extension?
Designer Richard Randall from 60 Minute Makeovers has these tricky decorating tips:
- The higher you put things in a room the more you will bring it in. Take down high shelves, paintings and lamps.
- Be careful of dark colours in small rooms because they’re too dramatic and will close it in. Instead use light colours on the walls and ceilings.
- Contrasting colors tend to break up a space. Pieces of furniture are less interrupting and tend to blend with the space if they're colored to match the wall colour.
- Make sure your furniture is appropriately sized for the room.
- Any room will look larger if it's well-lit, either by natural light or artificial lighting. Get rid of heavy draperies and open up the windows to let the light of the outdoors into the space.
- Use the same flooring material throughout the space to unify it and make it seem more expansive.
- Select ceramic tiles that are oversized in bathrooms to give the illusion of space.
- Ditch billowy drapes and opt for vertical blinds for space and modernity.
- The appropriate use of mirrors can visually double the size of a room.
For more great decorating tips catch 60 Minute Makeovers on LifeStyle HOME.