Do you live in a small property and are you in desperate need of more storage space? Shaynna Blaze shares her top tips and expert advice.
Small properties still need some kind of storage, but when you're giving up living space for cupboard space you have to think smarter.
Here are my top tips!
1) One of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking open shelves are the answer. They’re great for displaying well placed key items, but if your open shelves are crammed to the gills, they tend to come towards you and make the room feel smaller.
2) The best answer is to put your clutter behind doors. I’ve used flat pack wardrobes in these small rooms. It hides the mess and makes the space feel open and cleaner.And the great thing about flat pack is you can take it with you when you leave.
3) Using the maximum height of your room is a great space saving trick. Floor to ceiling cupboards utilize all the available space and act as a stylish feature as well.
4) We all have to have something to sleep on but your bed can have a double function. There are some great options on the market that lift up for storage or have built in drawers. This reduces clutter in the bedroom and creates more room.
Putting beds on top of each other is also a great idea - like this bed with a bunk on top – especially great if your kids have to share a room.
5) It's amazing what you can do with dead areas in your house as well. Have a look around!
- Spots under the stairs can be totally transformed with a bit of thought.Making this into a study area adds value and desirability to the property and frees up space elsewhere.
- Window or bench seats are functional in two ways – a great place to sit and relax, plus drawers underneath reveal a great place to store anything from bedding to toys.
Storage in small houses can be a challenge but it's worth some thought - you can never have enough of it!