Every house has shelves, but forget the old standard pine wall unit. Shannon looks at some original and creative alternatives:
Basic shelf x 3
The traditional shelf cleverly designed – they seem to float on the wall as all their supporting mechanisms are hidden within the shelf itself and the wall behind it. Staggering the shelves creates a stunning feature, and as a cute extra, glue the lids of food jars underneath the shelf, and double your food storage space.
Shelf room divider on wheels
Multi-functional and extremely versatile, this shelving unit is not only handy
for storing all your bits and pieces. It simply rolls out when you need something from it, and can also be used decoratively as a room divider.
Stacked chocolate moulded oblong shelves
These four simple shelves stack together in any combination to adapt to any use. Slick, contemporary and modern, you can use them all together or separate them for individual use.
Nuwave moulded plywood shelf
Made from moulded plywood and stained in clear varnish these shelves epitomise versatility because they double up as stools and tables. You can make so many interesting configurations out of them that you'll never tire of them.
Picked up in a second-hand store, this trusty step-ladder offers shelving with a difference. Place it beside your bed for reading books and lights, or in the bathroom for storing towels and bath oils.
Spiral wall mounted shelf
This is your top end of shelving. The unique snail shape design forms a stunning bracket for books and shows all shelving doesn't have to be straight.
Things to consider
- If your shelves are open and exposed, don't clutter them up with lots of junk. Keep them clean and organised looking.
- When storing books, make sure that all similar height books are stacked together, and break them up with an ornament or space them into blocks. Lay some books down on their sides and stand others up to make interesting formations.
- Group ornaments together to form pyramid shapes of varying heights, a formation which is most pleasing to the eye.
- When installing wall mounted shelves, make sure they are secured strongly and that you have the appropriate tools, wall plugs and long enough screws. Pop-out wall mounts are the best option for chip-board or fibro walls.
Equipment and Suppliers
– Ikea red Lack wall shelves $49 each
In Your Room
Orson & Blake
18 – 20 Oxford Street
Paddington NSW 2021
Ph: (02) 9380 8877
– red envelope vase $119
– orange glass vase $259