Shaynna Blaze reveals the most important things you need to consider when styling a room.
One of the most important things you need to ask yourself when looking at styling a living room is, how is this room going to be be used? Is it a casual hangout for the family, a communal shared space for housemates or a formal room? Once you have an answer, you can start to do the placement of furniture and work out how you accessorize it:
1. Start with your couch, and create a straight line with the wall –you can structure your other furniture around this base. It doesn’t have to be the focal point, just an anchor for where to place the rest of your furniture.
2. Allowing a gap between your couch and the wall gives you the chance to play with the depth of field in a room – and by adding a table behind your couch, you’ve now got an extra surface to accessorize.
3. Add accessories to give the area pops of colour and focus. Make sure you add a few personal items in there to tell your story.
4. Bringing in lamps allows you to play with height whilst cushions and accessories allow you to add or remove colour at your whim. And remember – not everything has to match!
5. Nothing is forever. So sit within the space for a week, and see how it feels and if it doesn’t feel right, don’t be afraid to tweak it till it feels just perfect.