During the cooler months, our electricity consumption often increases with the need to keep heaters and hot water systems at full capacity.
Ben Polis, founder of EnergyWatch.com.au advises consumers to shop around for a cheaper rate, particularly with more price hikes forecasted for QLD and NSW in the coming months.
Polis has put together a list of key tips and interesting facts that will help to keep your electricity bills down this winter, and fight back against the ever-increasing rate rises.
1. With it getting dark much earlier now, we have to light our homes and businesses for more hours every day. Try installing compact fluorescent lightbulbs which use up to 75% less energy than standard light globes
2. Ensure your home and/or business is fully insulated – a well-insulated building is up to 10 degrees warmer in winter and up to seven degrees cooler in summer
3. Keep all doors closed and windows covered to avoid cool draughts that will make heating systems less efficient
4. Be careful not to overheat rooms, and set your thermostat between 25-27°C on cold days. Every 1°C increase in temperature, increases energy usage by about 15%
5. Install a programmed thermostat that sets your heating systems to operate approximately 30 minutes prior to waking up (or arriving at the office). This is far more energy efficient than operating heating all night, and most controls can be overridden during holiday periods and weekends
Who is EnergyWatch.com.au?
EnergyWatch.com.au is an energy broker that provides a free consultation for people to compare the electricity retailers in their area and get a better deal in just a few minutes. Their mission is to save people money by helping them to make an informed choice on which provider best suits their needs.
Founded by Ben Polis in response to the continued forecast increases in energy prices across Australia, EnergyWatch.com.au seeks to educate consumers and businesses of the various options available for their energy needs when selecting providers. Their success to date has saved more than 150,000 consumers collectively millions of dollars across Australia.
EnergyWatch.com.au’s team of industry experts can compare your electricity retailers and get you a better deal in just a few minutes. Their mission is to save people money by helping them to make an informed choice on which provider best suits their needs. And they do it for FREE!