If you find a shabby standard lamp and want to transform it into a glamorous OTT rococo lamp just like Kathryn on Cracking Antiques did, it’s easy.
1. Find a fairly large space outdoors to do this as it can get messy with the glue and the paint.
2. Give the lamp base a good clean and sand it down before spraypainting.
3. Now it’s time to spray. You can buy spraypaint from art shops and some DIY or hardware stores. It looks best if you choose a solid matt colour. To make the lamp look really modern, Kathryn chose shocking pink but there are heaps of colours available.
4. Let the lamp base dry before giving it two more coats of paint.
5. Now it’s time to decorate the lamp-shade. You can buy feather ready-made from craft shops. It’s sold by the metre and comes in loads of different colours.
6. Starting at the bottom, each strip of feathers needs to be glued on and pinned in place until the shade is completely covered. You’ll find it easiest if you use a glue gun to get the right amount of glue. Also, attach some clothes pegs to keep the top in place until all the glue is dry.
7. Put your lamp-shade on top of your lamp-base and voila, you now have a beautiful customised rococo lamp!