Take inspiration from the great outdoors and use pebbles and river stones to bring a relaxed feel to your home.
When searching for decorating ideas, don’t forget one of the greatest resources available to you – nature. It offers an array of exciting materials, such as feathers, flowers, driftwood and stone, which are all great for creating a stylish interior. Shannon shows you how to create a sophisticated display with something as simple as pebbles.
- Stones and pebbles come in a variety of colours, shapes and sizes. Their rounded organic form suggests a certain femininity, and even though cold to touch, their form and smooth surface makes you want to pick it up and cradle it in your hands.
- Pebbles add texture and interest to any table setting. The organic nature of pebbles and stones are perfect for softening the clean lines of today’s interiors.
- Take three pebbles of varying shapes and sizes, stack them from biggest to smallest, and tie with raffia for a very original door-stop.
- Put some black pebbles in a clear glass vase, fill with water and top with your favourite flower.
- Coat your pebbles with oil or keep them wet and their real colours will shine through.
- Mix different textures by combining smooth pebbles and stones with spiky grasses and weathered wood.
- Give your stones a fresh look by painting them a very watered-down white wash
- Melt a dinner candle straight onto the top of a pebble and turn it into a candle holder. Rub a little gold leaf onto the pebble. Gold leaf can be found at art supply stores.
- Fill the entire decking area by your pool with white pebbles. The contrast in colour of white next to the aqua blue water is breathtaking, and provides a clean, minimalist look.
- Place some white pebbles around your potted succulents. It keeps the soil moist and looks gorgeous.
- Pebbles are a non-renewable resource, and should never be taken from the river or the beach. That doesn’t mean they’re an unattainable decorating idea – pebbles and stones are widely available in hardware and homeware stores.
Equipment and Suppliers
|Patio Garden Designs|
66-72 Reservoir St
Surry Hills, Sydney
Tel. 9280 3550
Orson & Blake
585 Elizabeth St
Surry Hills, Sydney
Tel. 9698 3500