The kitchen is one of the main selling features for a house so you want to make sure yours is looking its best. If you don’t have a big budget to spend here are some handy ways to update your tired room for less thanks to the team from 60 Minute Makeovers.
- Add new knobs! If the cabinetry is in otherwise good shape it will look completely new and entirely different with new stainless steel handles instead of round wooden ones.
- Remove cabinet doors and add shelves or baskets. Open cabinetry complete with stylish storage baskets are one of the hottest modern decorating trends and is a great way to show off your gorgeous dinner plates and champagne flutes!
- If you’re not handy enough to remove doors and knobs, why not just paint your cabinets! You can either paint everything or just the middle, inside panel.
- Give your kitchen a fresh coat of paint in a nice modern colour. It is one of the least expensive ways to update an outdated kitchen and can instantly brighten a room. See our story on paint colour trends.
- Get new lighting! Under cabinet lighting looks modern and is one of the cheapest ways to update a kitchen.
- Can’t afford marble? Spray paint the bench tops.
- Like door knobs, taps date a kitchen. Visit your local home improvement store and consider one of the many new styles of faucets available.
- If you don’t have the cash to buy new stainless steel appliances just give your old ones a really good clean and put away as much of your bench clutter as you can.
- Finally jazz up your kitchen with new tea towels, magnets, salt and pepper shakers and containers from affordable home wares stores such as Freedom or Wheel and Barrow.
For more great decorating tips catch 60 Minute Makeovers on LifeStyle HOME.